Have you ever seen a field of pumpkins and considered how bonkers it is that we grow many pumpkins solely for the purpose of celebrating Halloween?
This whole event actually has the potential to create quite an impact on the environment with the resultant wasted textiles, plastic, and food.
I'm not ruining the party, infact it's important to get together (Halloween pint anyone?). But, as is often the case, there are ways to reduce our environmental impact.
Try to avoid buying something new and avoid the one trip cheap plastic accessories that will be used for the night and dumped.
Instead, why not:
- Save your costume this year and organise a pre-party next year to swap costumes.
- Wear an old white sheet and be a half-arsed ghost.
- Embrace used packaging and cardboard. Go as a lego character or a zombie pizza delivery guy. Go as an Amazon delivery with a severed head inside.
- Get savvy with face paints and let that do the work instead of buying an outfit.
Trick or Treat
- Walk – don’t drive. Mad I know but people actually drive-by trick-or-treat.
- Use public transport for parties etc.
- Light the way with the eco friendly wind up Bat Torch, available now from https://www.re-wind.co.uk/
- Instead of offering sweets and chocolates which are both unhealthy and generate packaging waste, why not offer fruit such as seasonal apples and plums.
- Or, alternatively give little pot plants or seeds that they can grow (cress is always a good one to choose). This is both healthy and will give them an appreciation of nature.
- Alternatively you could just hide from trick or treaters at the pub or cinema and contribute nothing to landfill or child obesity.
- If you haven't tried pumpkin pie you absolutely must. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pumpkin-pie
- Try to source your pumpkin locally. Go pumpkin picking with the kids!
- Pumpkin is great in lasagne. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/roast-pumpkin-spinach-lasagne
- Ask your guests to bring their own reusable plates, cups and utensils rather than using throw away paper and plastic ones.
- Paper party goods can be expensive and just add more waste to landfill and our oceans. Alternatively why not check out the amazing range of non plastic tableware you can get from https://ecotableware.store/.
- Keep hold of sweet wrappers etc until you can put them in a bin at home. No one likes a litter bug.
- Don’t forget to reuse, recycle, or recover your waste. Take a moment to think what is being thrown away and consider what could be done to reduce this next year. Did you make too much food? Could you reduce the amount of drink packaging?
- Add another skeleton to your closet by storing away anything that can be used next year in a 'Halloween box' (like everyone does with Christmas decorations).
Green Achiever launched over a decade ago. Since then, almost 3,000 UK companies have signed up as members of the scheme.
We attract businesses from a vast array of industries: from manufacturers to cleaning companies, from dentists to hotels. And this isn’t surprising – there’s no reason why any business can’t join.
Our mission? To tackle the climate crisis through the collective action of businesses.
In our everyday lives it is hard to quantify the benefit of recycling waste, turning that light off, or taking the bus instead. Green Achiever enables businesses to measure, follow up, and quantify their environmental performance over time.
Humanity’s contribution to climate change, the pollution of rivers and seas, contamination of land and air have never been so high up on the global agenda. Consumers are looking to their suppliers to be kinder to the environment. Let’s address this together.
Get started - a strong starting point for any business is to identify all environmental legislation relevant to your business and check that you’re compliant. Take our FREE tailored environmental regulation report.
Identify current good practice – chances are you are already doing great things in the work place that contribute to a sustainable business. Set them out in a bespoke environmental policy and use our framework to create achievable goals. Kickstart the journey with Self Assessed certification here.
Be recognised and rewarded – Once you’re up and running you can progress to a Green, Silver or Gold award. Explore your options.
Connect you with eco-minded consumers – our directory of accredited businesses allows for transparency in the age of greenwash. Show the world you are doing your bit, as well as browse for green suppliers here.
Training your environmental champions – we can help you to train your staff to take on the responsibility for sustainability in your organisation. Call Deb or Nicky on 01743 343 403 to learn more.
Kit you out – we offer tools and guidance on waste management, carbon footprinting, carbon offsetting, waste minimisation, sustainable supply chain and implementation of ISO 14001, an Environmental Management System. Email email@example.com to get the ball rolling on what would benefit you.